Trippie Redd - Neon Shark vs Pegasus

 


How nice to know that for most of the time, the inspiration of the new pop - punk idols is in the guys who value "California" by Blink - 182 :/. This new wave is good for reviving pop punk in the mainstream, but it's far from impressing music nerds, since it prefers Matt Skibba's arena anthems in favor of the Mark/Tom dynamic.

 Crossing the spacey production of trap with the relatability of pop punk is innovative, I'm not going to lie.  There are melodies here that make me feel a brutal nostalgia for Blink - 182 - damn, there are drums and riffs/driving guitars here that take me back in time or make me wish I was listening to Blink 182. Besides that, apart from the generic beats Travis Barker's production work is more than decent - surprisingly diverse in terms of sound!

Unfortunately, the bottom line had potential!However, the performances are necessarily 0 fucks given instead of being genuinely 0 fucks given, I didn't feel like singing a single chorus, no matter how repetitive it was... the pen is not sharp enough (far from it), the performances don't convince me - I like what he's trying to do more than what I'm hearing - but they're not objectively bad either (nhe/meh, at best).

This album is relatively short in comparison with "Pegasus" but even so I don't really take away highlights beyond this or that element (drums, riffs, not the hooks, not the performances). Ah, and let's not talk about the waste of potential on the title... 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Country, New Road - For The First Time

Madlib - Sound Ancestors

Bicep - Isles