Foo Fighters - Medicine At Midnight


 

MEH! MEh! people miss AC/DC but this FF record in some ways is so predictable it hurts! I mean, there's nothing really offensive other than overblown choruses in "Making A Fire" , Cloudstopper, "Waiting On A War", "No Son Of Mine", "Love Dies Young". Despite trying to sound epic, this LP is painfully inoffensive xD - it's just that the sing along choruses aren't even funny anymore... I rolled my eyes a few times. I was relatively interested and curious in tracks like "Shame Shame", " in which they resort to duets, whispers, and organic drums, beats, funky bass and guitars that open another door in the FF sound, I might even consider these tracks decent. Ya even this sound is derivative (Queens of the Stone Age), but at least they are based on good and different elements, but when they make the "typical ballad" (Waiting On A War, Chasing Birds) or the single a la the scorpions (Medicine At Midnight) it is the equivalent to shoot themselves in the foot!!! Being that "Chasing Birds" had potential, but it becomes - so repetitive that it loses its meaning. Lyrically, I couldn't be less interested, they try - I know they try to innovate melodically in some parts (hence being so undecided between NHE/MEH), but oh boy, are they stupidly sing along (choruses)! But still, I admit, there is "food for thought" in some verses. Unfortunately, even though they are "rock n roll mainstream" FF refuse to express any kind of emotion as they resort to painfully polished production and solos that deserve some distortion, but come out clean, clean, clean. I don't care for it, couldn't be more indifferent, "U get what u paid for", eh - some elements might save it. I prefer a thousand times the more sighed and duet vocals (female soul vocals) than properly the overblown screams.... Ah! FF always the same... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Country, New Road - For The First Time

Madlib - Sound Ancestors

Bicep - Isles