Hayley Williams - Flowers For Vases/ Descansos


 Well, I'll get to the "elephant in the room" in a minute! I'm beginning to think I wasn't afraid of Folklore itself, but of the legacy/trend of it. The, more I listen to it the more I feel that it's pretty alright - especially complementing it with Evermore. In fact, instead of comparing it to Lana Del Rei, I end up comparing these albums to Folklore, as if Folklore doesn't have derivations...

However, a fastidious trend started - "award for most falsely emotional singer songwriter album with a relatively rustic production. And this is certainly Hayley Williams' "folk" - and it's a bit boring :/. Whereas Hayley Williams' debut (taking out the Radiohead spin-offs, etc.) demonstrated unique virtues typical of the artist - here, I can't even recognize her voice!!!!!!!!!! Like, I can imagine Taylor Swift singing....This doesn't sound at all like Hayley Williams is an "expensive copy" of Folcolre - there's no way around it - it just is! 

And it's very frustrating, because this has a commendable production - like "Folcolre", but emotionally I find it a bit bland, especially after the first few songs. It tries to add diversity, but deep down we all know that this kind of sound comes with a one-dimensional stamp if no risks are taken. I can praise the production, but I won't praise the lack of choruses, I definitely won't praise Hayley's voice here, and I also won't praise the folk-ish lyrics that remain style over substance. I want to badger him for being derivative as hell. Presumptuous. Style over substance. A bit boring. Disappointing, to see such a unique personality like Hayley checking boxes :/ , but yeah there are some moments that convince me and are kind of cool.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Country, New Road - For The First Time

Madlib - Sound Ancestors

Bicep - Isles